Worton Creek is another protected tributary just off the Bay that was once home to American Indians, as evidenced by oyster shell middens that still erode from the banks there. The put-in site of Green Point Landing can be found here, along with a few other marinas that service the creek. As a result of these marinas, the area around Green Point Landing can be rather busy, but the tributary itself is well-protected.
Worton Creek has its own ties to the War of 1812. In both 1813 and 1814, British troops attacked homes on the creek; the first attempt was successful, but the second met with effective resistance from locals. Paddlers can exit Worton Creek and head north to reach Still Pond Creek in about six miles. Heading south for 3.5 miles will take paddlers to Fairlee Creek and the landing there. However, these paddles should not be attempted in poor weather, as they require being on the open, unprotected waters of the upper Chesapeake.
Worton Creek is a protected tributary that can be explored easily on its own. To explore elsewhere, continue north from the mouth for six miles to reach Still Pond Creek. 3.5 miles in the opposite direciton will take paddlers to Fairlee Creek. Neither route should be attemped in rough weather.
Worton Creek is a protected tributary, however it can be very busy, especially in the summer, due to recreational boat traffic. Near the mouth, the creek becomes very exposed to wind. Paddlers looking to journey out of the creek should only attempt to do so during very calm weather, and always with caution and preparation.
Remember: safe use of rivers and any designated trails, at any time, is your responsibility! Water trail maps are for informational and interpretive purposes only and are not meant for navigational purposes, nor do they take into account level of skills or ability required to navigate rivers. The National Park Service, Chesapeake Conservancy and/or the individual trail associations assume no responsibility or liability for any injury or loss resulting directly or indirectly from the use of water trails, maps or other printed or web-based materials. Learn more about water safety.
We STRONGLY suggested that you review the marine forecast ahead of heading out for a paddling trip. To review the forecast for this paddle trip, visit:
Launch site address: Green Point Landing Marina, 23150 Green Point Rd, Worton, MD 21678
Nearest hospitals: UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown (100 Brown St, Chestertown, MD 21620; 410-778-3300) and Chester River Hospital Center (6602 Church Hill Rd #300, Chestertown, MD 21620; 410-778-3300).
Parking is limited here, but there are a few spots for about five vehicles on the side of the road.
There is a temporary restroom at this site.
There is a concrete ramp at Green Point Landing for launching small boats in addition to kayaks and canoes.
There are no camping amenities on site.
American Indians inhabited areas along the Sassafras River for over 10,000 years before European settlement of the area. Indian settlements were typically located right on the water's edge, and often at the heads of creeks, springs, and other tributaries. Such locations allowed for a rich abundance of food: plants like arrow arum and pickerel weed accompanied shad, herring, striped bass, and perch passing by on their spawning runs. White-tailed deer, wild turkeys, and black bears were also hunted for food and for their furs. The richness of resources in the area provided for communities both large and small, and eventually attracted European attentions for the same reasons.
There are numerous sites along the Sassafras River and its smaller tributaries that lay claim to events of the War of 1812. In May 1813 and July 1814, dwellings all along the river and other waterways were subjected to raids by British forces. In some instances, locals fought back and defended their homes; in others, towns and buildings were burned by the invading troops. Most notably, British Rear Admiral Sir George Cockburn led troops up the Sassafras to raid the ports of Georgetown and Fredericktown on May 6, 1813.